About Me

My photo
I am a crunchy Christian mom to four boys and one girl ♥ We are a homeschooling Family. Our family can't stay still for long. We are always on the move. Our homeschool is inspired by The Well Trained Mind, Waldorf, and a bit of Charlotte Mason. Our lives are inspired by The Word of God, Jesus, Miracles, and sunshine when we can find it.

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Final Curriculum Decisions

Well, I really, really wanted to use Sonlight Core 5 this year. But, something just didn't sit right with me. And, it was after a fellow homeschooler mentioned that she cannot use something that imposes a schedule.

That is so me and well us all together.

My two sons are totally different. My oldest is a rigid Aspie who devours books by the truckload. My second child is not reading well yet. He is still struggling. They both loved to be read to aloud. But, alas...

the reason I wanted Core 5 was because I really wanted to spend the next year or so studying cultures and missions. So, Instead I'm back to where I started from. I'm working through different lists I have found around the internet. I'm still not sure if I'm going to do an area a month or what. I want to outline my plans for the upcoming year with enough wiggle room to allow for the fact that was are really, super busy. I need time for my own schooling and homework. I don't want to pack so much in their days that they don't have any fun. But, they need to keep busy this year, too.

So far I've started lists on All Consuming

Year 2 List
Year 5 List

They are both doing Math U See, as well. Not sure what types of hands on stuff we will come up with. But, my second guy is a true artist and he always figures out something we can do.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Curriculum Purchased
Aspergers What does it mean to me? purchased from Amazon for $28.72 includes tax and the shipping was free.
Total Spent thus far

1 comment:

  1. We inherited Sonlight core books and teachers manual from missionary friends in Ukraine and used them withOUT the schedule, very loosely. It worked well, but the children were younger.

    Carol @ ParentingDecisions has some great ideas on self-directed, classical h/sing. Her kids do a lot on their own, have a regular routine of things they need to do, but no schedule. She uses the history timeline cards and resources from Veritas Press.

    I posted what we've been doing at the Mothering By Grace ed forum, and some things we do might fit for y'all, too. Or at least help the brainstorming juices flow.

    ReplyDelete