About Me

My photo
I am a crunchy Christian mom to four boys and one girl ♥ We are a homeschooling Family. Our family can't stay still for long. We are always on the move. Our homeschool is inspired by The Well Trained Mind, Waldorf, and a bit of Charlotte Mason. Our lives are inspired by The Word of God, Jesus, Miracles, and sunshine when we can find it.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

YEAR 10

I was inspired by Golden Grasses to count how many years we have been homeschooling. I cannot believe we are going into year 10. I had planned on homeschooling, but I was having a hard time parenting my oldest. So, he attended a 9 hour a week preschool that was amazing and only a 5 minute walk away from home. He then attended K and a part of Grade 1. By that time, we ended up moving out of state. We chose to homeschool. We have had a short period back in school for our oldest. He went to the first half of Grade 4 which I hoped would make it easier for me while I went to the University. Our second child was attending and had a wonderful kindergarten experience. So, we thought we would try Grade 1 and Grade 4. Turned out the experience wasn't so lovely and they came home. We have been homeschooling ever since. My third son has never attended school except for speech therapy. I pray the next two can be homeschooled, as well.

We have unschooled, used KONOS unit studies pretty mildly, a light version of TWTM, Waldorf inspired with Oak Meadow, and now back around again. We are taking a wee break this summer and looking forward to the upcoming year. I completely respect the input of my children. We need a balance of what they like and need AND what I am able to do and give. I won't label us. I just cannot. This is our journey. I assumed that meant we were unschooling if I read John Holt correctly. But, I could be bashed by curriculum haters. My children and I discuss what they learn. They fashion their days. I am here to guide and discuss with the older two. My third son has some delays and therefore we do his learning together. It isn't always rosey. But, he needs guidance. Curriculum helps us get there.

This year I am going to accept that we are late starters. I am going to accept that. We feel better if we get some lounging and a walk in for our morning time. I am going to trust that our educational journey is a beautiful representation of our personal family. I am looking forward to learning more about each other. We have some plans that we want to work on, goals that we have set together. But, this is the first year that I am going to stay I just want to watch our story unfold.

1 comment:

  1. "This is our journey."

    I really liked this :). I truly believe homeschooling is all about what works best for your family. I use the label "radical unschoolers" to indentify what we do but it is not who we are.

    Peace for the journey mama.

    ReplyDelete