About Me

My photo
I am a crunchy Christian mom to four boys and one girl ♥ We are a homeschooling Family. Our family can't stay still for long. We are always on the move. Our homeschool is inspired by The Well Trained Mind, Waldorf, and a bit of Charlotte Mason. Our lives are inspired by The Word of God, Jesus, Miracles, and sunshine when we can find it.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

2007 10 year old reading list

So, here is my ever evolving list. I'm trying to make a list for each child. I would like to have something to print off and check off during the year. Many of these will come from Ambleside Online or Sonlight. When I come upon other suggestions I will add those. We have our wishlists on Amazon and they always make suggestions based on items you pick. I'm always surprised to see childhood favorites. *Books we will definitely be including.

Nature Study
Nature in the Neighborhood by Gordon Morrison Our library does not have this particular book. But, I was able to order two of his other ones. If they look as good as they do on Amazon I will either order it or see if the library will order it. We are really fortunate to have a library with enough funds to order new books. All we have to do is email the reference desk.

Ambleside list for Grade 5
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (I'm not sure if I can convince him to read this.)
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Tanglewood Tales by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Kipling
This is how things start to happen here.
I start with a small piece of information, check the library
and bam....a month's worth of study is in progress.
Really, with a name like Rudyard Kipling what more could you expect than a writer?


These two books are recommended at Ambleside:
*Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling I need to look this over yet. I don't remember reading it.
Puck of Pook's Hill by Rudyard Kipling
Kim
My library has these available:
1. Captains courageous [DVD] Fleming, Victor, 1883-1949.
2. The poetry of Rudyard Kipling [sound recording]
3. How the camel got his hump-Easy Reader
4. Poetry for Young People: Rudyard Kipling We have already read this series together. These are beautiful!
5. The story of how the leopard got his spots [sound recording]
6. Rikki-tikki-tavi We have read this quite a few times. My SIL used to have a ferret named this.
7. The Jungle Book from the Whole Story Series

Online
Rikki-tikki-tavi study
Life and Society in Kipling's British Empire


*The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain I picked this up at a garage sale along with Huck Finn.
*The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain
*Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
Lad: A Dog (or another book in the Lad series; many are online) by Albert Payson Terhune
The Treasure Seekers by Edith Nesbit
The Wouldbegoods by Edith Nesbit
*Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery I love these! Maybe I can get them to watch the movies with me.

I've got these on the 7 year old's list, so we will probably do these as read alouds.
*Little Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
*The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
*These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder
*The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham We have already studied this book. It's great. I might see if we have the time to tuck it in again when Escher is a bit older to remember it.
Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith
Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt
Falcons of France by Charles Nordhoff, James Norman Hall
Goodbye Mr. Chips by James Hilton
The Story of My Life by Helen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment